test2

Friday, July 31, 2009

The Parallel World of ComicCon 09


I finally have had the time to write about my eye-opening experience last week at the world famous COMIC-CON in San Diego.

Knowing people that know people, I managed to get a ticket to this "sold-out" 4 days event. Being the Internet geek that I am, I followed updates before the event from the top 3 independent Comic-Con fans on Twitter; ComicCon (3,949 followers), ComicConLive (2,811 followers) and ComicCon09 (1,330 followers).

For those of you who missed the opportunity of mingling with 300lbs Supermen, 62-year-old Wolverines, Trekkies wearing pointy ears and Star Wars aficionados of all ages and sizes, I suggest viewing one of the 10,600 plus related videos tagged "ComicCon 2009" on Youtube.



After taking more than 2 hours to circle the 1st floor of this massive event, I came to the conclusion that the Web is increasingly empowering people to escape their daily lives and meet other suburban super heroes, monsters, and fairies in parallel worlds that mimic the 20th Century popularity of comic books.

Examples of this phenomenon are World of War Craft, with 11.5M+ subscribers and Facebook's Vampire Wars, which has 2.7M+ active users.

So, are we going to end up paying mortgage on a house inside Second Life? Will my wizard avatar end up with more friends than myself? Regardless, brands, content developers and publishers have the potential to make real money from these "make-believe" parallel worlds where a computer meets a comic book!

2 comments:

  1. ComicCon 09 must have been a blast, there is a lot of good stuff coming out of it. BioWare's new MMO, the new Dante's Inferno game, just so many cool things. Awesome that you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my first time! Definitely it was a blast and and eye-opening experience.

    Thanks for the comment!

    Cheers,

    -AN

    ReplyDelete